Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Water Trilogy by Kara Dalkey

Water is a historical fantasy trilogy that was released in 2002 and is about mermaids, aliens, and Atlantis. Yeah, it may sound like these three things are an unlikely combination, but they fit so well together in a mesmerizing unique world created by author Kara Dalkey. Check out my reviews below of each of the novels in the trilogy: Ascension, Reunion, and Transformation.


Book #1: Ascension
Ascension was a great introduction to the Water Trilogy. Kara Dalkey's undersea world of mermaids, aliens, and Atlanteans was fully developed, lacking nothing. I loved the writing, and Dalkey perfectly captures Nia's uneasy feeling that her treasured underwater world is but an illusion. The final scenes of the book are filled with twists, turns, and very unexpected surprises. If you love mermaids, definitely check out this unique spin. This would also be a great introduction into high fantasy. I can't wait to check out Reunion and Transformation, the next two parts of the trilogy.


Book #2: Reunion
I'll admit, I was a bit hesitant to read this one. The beginning was very slow, as I'm not a big historical fantasy fan, and the entire first quarter of the book was the typical medieval story. But once Nia showed back up, the story got rolling and I was hooked once more. I stayed up late, knowing I had school in the morning, just to keep reading, and the next day I was still reading it every spare chance I got. While I loved the first book, Ascension, more, I loved Reunion for many different reasons.
I have to say, Nia is one of my favorite - if not already my favorite - mermaid heroines. She is brave and daring, standing up to defy even barbaric kings in a mission to save her people. I sense a budding romance between her and Corwin. I wonder where that's going to go...
All in all, it was a fantastic read, not as good as the first, but a welcome addition to the Water Trilogy. I'm definitely sinking back into the third and final book, Transformation, and I can't wait to see how all the action, twists, and turns unfold to create the book's explosive conclusion.
So definitely check out Reunion if you're a mermaid or historical fantasy fan!


Book #3: Transformation
WOW! This one was epic! I read it in just two sittings - in one day, too. Everything just builds to a huge climax, and there was action around every corner. I still love Nia. The scene in the Farworlder nursery made me cheer her on, because you can tell Nia's ready to kick some Avatar butt. I love Dalkey's writing as well; there were several lines that made me chuckle as I read. We also return to Atlantis in this one, which we didn't get to see in the second novel. I tore through this book, and now I'm sad that I've read the whole trilogy. This one was definitely bittersweet, and the very final scene of the book was a big unpredictable twist that makes you go, "Huh...never saw that one coming." (If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.)

So definitely dive into the Water Trilogy by Kara Dalkey and immerse yourself in her breathtaking underwater world!

2 comments:

  1. hav not heard of it b4
    a perfect exsample how covers changed. todays covers a lot different
    no ofence the covers don't ''lure'' me in
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. these books are amazing. I read them in 8th grade (I'm in my 6th year of college now) and i still think about them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete