Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mermaid Crossovers That Should Or Should Not Happen

I know a lot our lovely  readers are involved in a fandom of one sort of another, like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Game of Thrones etc. So I thought I'd make a long, silly, lengthy, and utterly un-necessary post about what would happen if we put in some mermaids to these lovely shows/books/movies/lifestyles. Here goes nothing.
Warning: Hilarity and Twilight bashing ensue. 


Harry Potter + Mermaids = That already happened.

Sherlock (as in BBC Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman) + Mermaids = YES!
Just imagine it. Dead mermaid washes up on shore, Sherlock and John go investigate, and then a strange guest in a wheel chair shows up at 221B. Brilliant! 

Twilight + Mermaids = Oh please, no.
I hate myself for even entertaining this possibility. But sadly, Twilight and mermaids would be the most un-intentionally hilarious crossover. Is this a love square I sense coming on? Sorry if this offends any Twlight fans! I really just never got the hype behind the series.

Game of Throne + Mermaids = That actually makes sense, sort of.
I myself have not actually read or watched Game of Thrones, but I've consulted with a few experts on this crossover, and according to them, this would actually be a ridiculously good idea. Any GoT fans want to weigh in? 

The Hunger Games + Mermaids = Potentially one of the most dangerous arenas ever.
Think about it: Mermaids are known to have dangerous soul sucking, flesh eating, seducing tendencies. Now figure that into one of Suzanne's famously twisted arenas. Then translate that to the silver screen. Quaking with fear? Yeah, me too.

Doctor Who + Mermaids = I would watch this in a heartbeat.
We've been through dinosaurs, robots, vampires (sort of), and debatably a mermaid (Curse of the Black Spot), but a lot of Who fans will definitely agree with me when I say mermaids are definitely an interesting crossover with an already whacky show. Imagine an episode with a mermaid as a one time companion. Exciting stuff!

Supernatural + Mermaids = Should happen in the near future.
I mean seriously, that's gotta be the next step on the ladder right? Sam and Dean better find some scuba gear. Demon mermaids anyone?

The Avengers + Mermaids = Potentially disastrous.
I literally see no plausible way of this working ever. And I mean that. I love the Avengers, but it would take an act of God to put these two together and make me believe it. But hey, The Little Thormaid perked my interest. Loki as Ursula? Odin as Poseidon? It's surprising how much it works. Small note: Sleeping Beauty is also applicable to Captain America. And The Emporer's New Groove is applicable to Iron Man. And Anastasia (which isn't Disney, I know) applies to Black Widow and Hawkeye. I could literally go on forever about the similarities between Avengers and Disney movies. But mermaids and The Avengers? I can't dig it, much as I love both of them.

That's all I've got for the moment, but what do you guys think? Anything I left out? Let me know, okay?

-Randi










2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Hilariousness! I was warned ;) haha! I don't think you left out any world wide none fandoms. I have a few but there probably not well none. But you are completely right about Doctor Who, a mermaid on the show would be awesome, maybe there could be like a portal under the sea? Just thinkin here. You know what, I wonder, if Thor was a mermaid (love that pic by the way) than would Jane be Eric? Curious Ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, I've just started watching Game of Thrones myself, and in one of the first few episodes they actually mentioned mermaids. Sadly, they are considered mythical by the characters in the Game of Thrones world. Of course they also thought other creatures like White Walkers (you have to watch the show to find out what they are) were mythical and that dragons no longer existed but we later find out that's not exactly the case...
    Oh yeah, and apparently in one of the books it's briefly mentioned that a king married a mermaid.

    ReplyDelete